Sunday, June 22, 2014

RHUBARB DREAM BARS, LC, GF



I love rhubarb because it's low carb and low calorie and you can make such wonderful things with it! I've been using rhubarb lately because I have some wonderful friends who give it to me.  I can't grow it myself because I have no place to grow it living in a town home with no yard of my own.  If I could grow it, I would grow oodles of it! as it is I've had oodles of it anyway lately from friends who are generous with their over abundance.  I was browsing facebook the other day and a friend posted a recipe for Rhubarb Dream Bars, which I then did a search for on Pinterest to find the recipe and I found this one.  Actually I found several different ones but they were all pretty much the same recipe, and I figured I could convert it easily enough to low carb and gluten free. It was my turn also to do coffee and fellowship time this Sunday morning so I made it to bring and share and try out on all the "norms" (those people who eat non-low-carb and wheat).


They all said it was really good, and then I told them it was sugar free and gluten free and asked for their honest opinion compared to a sugar dessert.  A couple people said it wasn't as sweet as they are used to with sugar but it was really good and one said she prefers it not as sweet.  To me it was VERY sweet.  My hubby said the same.  So I guess it's all in what you're used to in "sweet."  Having not had sugar for a long time, it was good to get the opinion of those who are used to it.  Everyone said they did not notice any aftertaste from the sweeteners.



It helps to use a combination of sweeteners.  Anytime I used just one, people seem to get an aftertaste.  I never do anyway.  I guess it's because I'm so used to them perhaps?  But I used in this a combo of xylitol, Truvia, and stevia, as that's what I had on hand.  You can do whatever you are used to using.  I went easier on the xylitol, since it does have calories and carbs, and it also can have a gastrointestinal effects if you aren't used to it or use too much at a time.  So I used only 1/4 cup of that in my mix.  I went heaviest on the Truvia, and then again stevia equal to 1/4 cup.  I try to mix flours and sweeteners in my baked recipes because it is cheaper to do so for one thing, since they are all so expensive.  I try to use what I can get locally, rather than what I have to order, but I do order what I can't get.  But I just don't do much baking anymore because it costs too much! And I tend to eat too much when I have a whole pan of something.  But it was nice to have people to share it with today. And I am happy to share it with you all, and hope you enjoy it!

RHUBARB DREAM BARS                    

1 cup  Almond flour - Honeyville
1/2 cup  golden flaxseed meal
1/2 cup  Whey Protein, Biochem -- (what I used, you can use whatever brand you want. Biochem has <1g carb per scoop)
3/4 cup  powdered sugar substitute -- You can use Swerve or a combo of different granulated sweeteners. I used Truvia, xylitol, and stevia
1/2 cup  butter -- cold, cut up
4 eggs
2 cups  sweeteners of choice -- Again I used a combo of the same as above.
1/2 cup  Jennifer's bake mix -- (OR almond flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons  salt
4 cups  rhubarb -- chopped

Crust: In a food processor, combine almond flour, flaxseed meal, whey protein, powdered sweeteners (powdered in a blender or coffee grinder), and butter. Pulse a few times until butter is mixed in well and it looks like crumbs.  Press into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350F until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, 2 cups of sweeteners, bake mix (OR almond flour), and salt. Beat until smooth.

Add rhubarb, and mix in. Spoon mixture over baked crust. Bake 350F for about 45 to 50 minutes. I baked it 50 minutes.  Cool, cut into bars, serve with whipped topping if desired.

Source:
  "converted to low carb, gluten free from this original recipe: http://dixieskitchen.com/2011/11/07/rhubarb-dream-bars/"
Copyright:
  "©ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

24 Servings/Per Serving: 103 Calories; 9g Fat (71.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber

1g net carb per serving





2 comments:

  1. What would the regular recipe look like? I want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regular recipe looks pretty much the same. If you go to the link I posted from the recipe I started from you can see a picture.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...