Wednesday, June 25, 2014

CHOCOLATE RICOTTA PIE OR TART



I don't know why, but I decided I would make this in a tart pan today.  You can decide if you want a tart pan or a pie pan.  So what difference does it make?  What's the difference between a pie or a tart?  If I put this in a pie pan, it would be a pie. If I make it in a tart pan, it's a tart.  It's all in the shape I guess.


I just wanted to use my new tart pan for the first time. So today it's a tart! This is based on Olive Garden's Chocolate Ricotta Pie recipe which is available on their website.  I started from there, and converted it to low carb and gluten free.  You may come up with your own variation but this was so good to me! The original recipe called for almond extract. I decided on vanilla instead since I love LOTS of vanilla flavor.  Since I did not make it in time to chill overnight I put it in the freezer for a couple hours so that it was a soft frozen. I decided I really like it that way! Especially in the tart as it was much easier to remove from the pan semi-frozen.  If I were to make it a pie, I probably would just chill it all day or overnight.

The crust I used was one I use often as a graham cracker crust substitute.  It tastes so much like a graham cracker crust that it has become my main recipe for anything that calls for that.  You can make it taste even more so by adding Capella Graham Cracker Flavor Drops (about 16 drops) to the melted coconut oil before mixing it in. I'm running out of it so didn't use them today but it still tasted pretty much like a graham cracker crust to me.



CHOCOLATE RICOTTA PIE OR TART                    

                        Crust
1 cup  golden flaxseed meal
1 scoop  whey protein, Pure Protein, Vanilla Creme -- (1/3 cup) - whatever brand you have, this is the brand I used.
1/4 cup  equivalent of sugar -- (1 Tbsp + 2 tsp Truvia, or 6 packets)
1/4 cup  coconut oil -- (OR butter), melted
                        Filling
1 pound  ricotta cheese
3/4 cup  equivalent of powdered sugar -- (I powdered 5 tbsp. + 1 tsp Truvia in my coffee grinder)
2 teaspoons  vanilla extract
1/2 cup  Nestle Dark Chocolate Morsels (OR sugar free chocolate chips - I found the carb count is about the same for most, and most have malitol.)
1 1/4 cups  heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon  sugar-free vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
1/8 teaspoon  stevia extract

Crust: In medium bowl, add flaxseed meal, whey protein, powdered sweetener, and coconut oil OR butter.  Mix well with a fork.  Press into the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate. Bake in 350F oven preheated, for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Filling: In medium bowl add ricotta cheese and powdered sweetener.  Mix with electric beater and set aside.

In a food processor add chocolate morsels and pulse until chopped but not too fine.

Fold chopped chocolate morsels into ricotta mixture and chill.

In another bowl add heavy cream, sugar-free pudding mix, and stevia extract. Whip until stiff.

Fold into ricotta and chocolate mix, half at a time. Spread over cooled crust.  freeze 2 hours, or chill overnight in refrigerator.  (I like it partially frozen myself!)

If desired you can drizzle some sugar-free chocolate syrup over the top or just top with whipped cream.

Description:
  "This is based on Olive Garden's recipe for their Chocolate Ricotta Pie, LC and GF, can be frozen or chilled in the frig."
Copyright:
  "© Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen, 6/25/2014"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8 servings:  439 Calories; 38g Fat (74.2% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber (11g net carbs)

12 servings:  293 Calories; 25g Fat (74.2% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; (8g net carbs)

16 servings: 220 Calories; 19g Fat (74.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; (5g net carbs)






3 comments:

  1. Try Lily's Sweets chocolate chips. They taste great and have no malitol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look very good! Thanks!
      http://www.lilyssweets.com/chocolate-bars/baking/baking-chips
      Availability: http://www.lilyssweets.com/store-locator
      also at Netrition.com, https://www.netrition.com/lilys_dk_choc_baking_chips.html
      Again, only problem for me is the price. I just can't afford chocolate chips at that price I'm afraid, plus shipping. That's why I stick with what I can get at the store locally. But if it's available to others and they can pay the price it's great that it's available!

      Delete
    2. I also see that the carb count is actually the same as what I use. But it's always good to know what we have to choose from!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...