Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicken Alfredo and Spinach Lasagna With Zucchini Noodles

My son invited himself over for dinner one Sunday, which we always enjoy, and gave me a recipe he had gotten from a co-worker and wanted me to make it.  The original was made in the crock pot with no-cook lasagna noodles.  It's become a favorite recipe but of course I cannot do the noodles.  I have done this with dreamfield's pasta also which turned out wonderful, but since I'm trying to be near "perfect" in my diet lately, and I'm discovering zucchini noodles for a lot of things, I decided to make it with the zucchini.  I know next time though, I am going to add garlic to the sauce with this.  I love my garlic, as everyone who knows me knows!  There's not too many dishes I make without it.



                    
* Exported from MasterCook *

        Chicken Alfredo and Spinach Lasagna with zucchini Noodles

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 6    
Categories    : Main dish                       Poultry

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2            medium  zucchini -- You may not need all the zucchini depending on the size.  Just use enough to cover the bottom and the second layer.  Save the rest for salad!
  1 1/4      cups  fiesta blend shredded cheese -- (or mozzarella, or swiss, shredded)
  1            cup  ricotta cheese
  1           teaspoon  oregano
  1/4      teaspoon  red pepper flakes -- (optional)
  10         ounces  alfredo sauce -- (1 jar)
  10         ounces  frozen spinach -- thawed and squeezed dry
  1/4        cup  parmesan cheese -- (may want to use more)
  2           cups  chicken -- cooked and diced
               red pepper flakes -- for garnish (optional)

Combine 1 cup cheese, ricotta, oregano and red pepper flakes if using, in small bowl; set aside.

Coat 4 1/4 quart crock pot with non-stick spray, or 7" x 11" casserole dish if baking.  Peel zucchini, and slice with cheese slicer or vegetable peeper to make strips that are flat like noodles.  Lay enough of the zucchini noodles in the bottom of the dish to cover it.  Spread half the ricotta cheese over them. Top with half of the spinach.  Arrange half of the chicken and half of the Parmesan cheese over the spinach.  Pour half of the Alfredo sauce over the top.  Repeat layers beginning with the zucchini noodles, and ending with the alfredo sauce.  Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on top.

In crock-pot, cook on low 3 hours.  In oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake 45 min. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.  Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 391 Calories; 29g Fat (67.7% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 117mg Cholesterol; 531mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 Fat.

NOTES : I find I want more of the parmesan and more of the shredded on top at the end.  Also will add garlic to the sauce.

6 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was delicious. Had to sub cottage cheese for ricotta since my ricotta was expired =( so next time I will have to make sure to use the ricotta, the cottage cheese made it a little runny....still really good. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, was even better to watch how to make it from your video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I print this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! Yes, the ricotta makes quite a difference I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, can you just select it and "print selection"? Or paste into a Word document and print it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love a picture of the finished product. It sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a remake of this. That was a terrible video! Back in the day when I wasn't using very good video software. In fact, this is a recipe I was going to make for my son's birthday this Sunday. It's his favorite.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...