Saturday, March 6, 2010

The start of a blog

Today I decided to start a blog. I am a type 2 diabetic. I chose to control my diabetes by eating low carb. In the beginning I rebelled strongly inside against this. I love my carbs. I love pizza, bread, cake, donuts, and all the good things you can't eat if you low carb. Or can you? I have found that there are so many good ways to eat low carb that I'm never unsatisfied, either for lack of variety, or for good taste. I am finding a lot of creativity in new ways to use vegetables that I never would have before. I'm finding that I eat more vegetables than I ever did before. I'm also finding that I am satisfied with much less and don't get hungry most of the time between meals. If I do, it's normally because I ate too many carbs. I lost 30 lbs. when I first began low carbing, according to Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I would encourage anyone with diabetes or "prediabetes", or any other blood sugar problems to visit the site and browse through the chapters of his book he has online for all to read. There are many myths about low carbing. I've found it to be the easiest diet to stay on, and for me, it's no longer a diet, it's my way of life. It has to be. It's that or have high blood sugar with all the ramifications of that, go on meds or insulin, or both, which I don't want to do, or end up like so many with all the complications and amputations that go with diabetes. I don't want to go there. I was never going to get this disease that seems to be in my genes. But I did. So now I'm going to do my best to not let it get me. I'm not an expert on all the science behind low carbing and diabetes. I'll leave that to others who are, and now and then point to them through a link perhaps.

So since doing this low carb thing for 4 years now, I've come up with some pretty good recipes, and also have found some pretty good ones from others online. I'd like to share them with whoever out there is needing some ideas. Besides this gives me a place to keep all my recipes in one place. I'm also thinking maybe I will try some cooking videos. We'll see where this goes.

I did do one cooking video, which was an experiment really, and was done with my webcam. Not all that high tech, but hey... the recipe was the best! Unfortunately, I was not able to upload it here for some reason. I guess I'll have to find out what kind of videos I can upload and how to format them better. Until then, here is the recipe...


* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Soup

Recipe By :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
32 ounces roasted red peppers -- 2 16 oz. jars
32 ounces chicken broth
1 package sliced fresh mushrooms -- (8 ounce)
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cooking wine
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 fully cooked pork sausage patties

Place roasted red peppers in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.


In a large saucepan, mix roasted red peppers, chicken broth, sausage, and mushrooms. Season with basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cooking wine and olive oil. For extra garlic flavor add minced garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 170 Calories; 12g Fat (63.3% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 628mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

This is also good with Dreamfield's pasta if you can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...