Thursday, February 14, 2013

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE, LC, GF

This was my Valentine's day treat for my family tonight.  I wish I could have gotten it posted yesterday, but it's been a busy crazy work week, and I didn't get it made until this afternoon for tonight.
The original recipe for this is on Allrecipes.com along with a video demonstrating  how to do it.  The only change I made is that I used powdered Swerve in place of sugar.  Otherwise I followed it exactly as they did it.  So, this is not my original creation, and very little had to be done to make it low carb.  If you want to make it completely dairy free (I used butter so I guess I can't call it dairy free), you could use coconut oil in place of butter. I haven't tested that but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

This is a very dense, very rich, very chocolaty flourless cake.  It tastes better the longer it sits.  It should be thoroughly chilled but as is usual in my case, being the impatient and last minute type of person I am, I made it and let it cool in my garage and stuck it in the freezer for about an hour and it was just fine.  I held my breath as I worked to get it out of the pan and voila, it came out in one piece! Yay!  It is a semi-sweet, so if you want a sweeter chocolate add more sweetener and taste the batter before baking.  I used 3/4 cup Swerve.  Next time I probably would add 1/4 cup xylitol.  I rarely use Swerve.  It's just way too out of my price range but I got a good deal on some so had some on hand.  I saved it for a special treat, but I sure couldn't afford to have any sweets if I used it all the time.  So the next time I make this I will probably use a different combination of sweeteners, but I'm sure I will make it again!  Very decadent! Very romantic, special, wonderful! Very much a Valentine treat.

The nutrition info for making this with Swerve is here, this is for just the cake, without the topping:
This is for 12 servings: 394 Calories; 41g Fat (82.4% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;



                      WHIPPED COCONUT CREAM FROSTING

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 12  
Categories    : Dessert

1 cup  coconut cream -- (The thick cream at the top of the can of Thai Coconut Milk)
10 drops  liquid sucralose -- (or sweetener equal to 1/3 cup)
1/2 teaspoon  vanilla
1 teaspoon  rum extract
   red food coloring -- (optional)
12 strawberries -- sliced in half

In medium bowl, combine coconut cream, sucralose, vanilla, rum extract, and red food coloring (if using).  Which electric beater with wire whisk, whip for a couple minutes until fluffy.
keep can of coconut milk in refrigerator at least a couple hours before scooping out the cream on top. Use just the cream portion and save the liquid at the bottom for other use.

Spread onto cake and top with strawberries.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For Frosting with Strawberries--12 servings/Per Serving: 71 Calories; 7g Fat (83.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

7 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Gotta try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it if you do! My goodness this cake is rich! I cut the rest of it in much smaller pieces today. A little goes a long way!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, Ginny! Sounds wonderful. Someone on lowcarbfriends.com is raving about it. :) Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the BEST!! And, perfect timing. I've been trying to find a lc cake that even non-lcers would like. I think this is it. I made half a recipe and baked it in 2 mini-springform pans. I subbed erythritol and stevia glycerite for the sugar and used Trader Joe's dark chocolate instead of bittersweet (bittersweet has too much sugar in it for me). I'm going to make a full recioe tomorrow night to take to work Wednesday for a birthday, so that will be the real test. It's like a chocolate truffle cake. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! When I looked back at the recipe I had not even noticed that it called for bettersweet chocolate! I actually used unsweetened chocolate so my nutritional info is based on that. Mine was a bit bitter though, and so probably would have been better to use the dark chocolate. I'm used to not so sweet but my family is not. Next time I'll either use the dark or I'll add more sweetener. I'm so glad yours turned out so well and was enjoyed! :)

      Delete
    2. Oops... *bittersweet* not bettersweet. LOL

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...