Saturday, May 28, 2011

Corned Beef Hash with Jicama


My original corned beef hash recipe which I posted on the Bernstein forum, I actually liked better than this one with Jicama, but I had Jicama today and wanted to try it.  I think though, that next time I make it I will try soaking the Jicama in water with some salt in it for a while and then cooking it longer, until tender before baking it.  Otherwise, this was still pretty good, although crunchier than I want my corned beef hash to be.  The original one with turnips was perfect.  You could not tell that it was not a hash with potatoes.  It tasted as corned beef hash is supposed to taste.  So I am posting the recipe below using both the Turnips and the Jicama and you can choose which you want to try.  If you use the Jicama though, I would make sure to cook until tender and soak in salt water first.  It's a little sweet (which is ok) and a little too crunchy.  

So that said, here is the video I made this morning.  Hope you enjoy it.  I know my leftovers are going to be great with some scrambled eggs in the morning!


                      
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Corned Beef Hash and Cheese Casserole

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 4     
Categories    :  Beef                            Main dish
                Breakfast                       Casserole

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
12 to 18            ounces  corned beef, canned  (depending on what brand you use)
4               cups  turnips -- (about 4 medium turnips, or use 4 cups jicama) peeled and diced small
1/2        medium  onion -- chopped (or you can use 1/8 cup of onion flakes)
2               cups  fiesta blend shredded cheese -- I get it at Walmart (or cheddar)
3                     eggs
1/2           cup  parmesan cheese

About 30 minutes before you put the casserole together, dice the turnips and let them soak, either in milk (but then you are getting the lactose), or better, in water with sweetener added.  I used Fasweet liquid sweetener.  It cuts the bitter taste of the turnips and makes them more "potatoey" like.  this is optional, but I think it makes them better.  Also sprinkle in some salt to the water.  I didn't measure, just poured some in.  Stir and let sit for 30 minutes.  (If you use jicama you can soak in salted water for about 30 min.)

Drain the turnips and cook in boiling water for 10 minutes (20 for jicama, or until tender).  Drain.  Cut up the corned beef into cubes or shred with fork, and mix both the turnips and the corned beef in a baking dish. Sauté onions.  Mix in onions and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.  Beat eggs and stir them into the casserole.  Sprinkle the top with remaining Fiesta blend cheese, and the parmesan cheese.  

Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean.  

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Serving Ideas : Great for a breakfast or anytime meal.

*NOTES : Using Jicama:  493 Calories; 29g Fat (54.9% calories from fat); 41g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;

Using Turnips: 482 Calories; 29g Fat (56.0% calories from fat); 41g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber



2 comments:

  1. I found that freezing the jicama cubes and then cooking a few minutes in the microwave with a little water makes them soft enough for potatoe salad. It will probably work for the hash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for that tip Cathy! I'm just learning to work with the jicama. I'll give that a try next time. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...