Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jicama

picture from Wikepedia


I love discovering new foods.  Jicama is a new food to me.  I've been seeing different places on the internet lately and have wanted to try it.  I see it in the produce section of my grocery store each week and almost buy it but then because I didn't know how to use it and didn't want it to go to waste, I didn't.  I finally bought some.  I am so glad I did!  I found that I love it.  I made hash browns with it the first time when the "norms" in the house were having potatoes.  I like it better than potatoes.  I never thought I'd say that about anything!  I have been low carbing since 2006, and sometimes I get tired of the substitutes.  They just aren't as good as the real thing.  I mean, I was ok with cauliflower mashed, hashed, riced, etc., and it was filling.  But it wasn't potatoes.  I didn't feel like, wow, this is just like potatoes!  I don't miss potatoes at all!  No... it just didn't do that for me, though I felt like I at least had something instead of potatoes that filled my plate and tasted ok.  But I do like jicama, and I won't miss potatoes as long as I have it!  I like it raw also.  I can't wait to try it in a dessert, as a pie filling perhaps?  Or a crisp?  Grated in a salad?  I like it!  I like it a lot!  Some do and some don't it seems.  I do!  Yay!  So many times when others are raving over something in the low carb community I'm thinking, "what's the fuss?"  But this time I really like it!

So I've been browsing recipes and discussions, and blogs and I have a list of links about jicama to check out if it's new to you too.  If anyone has any other links, recipes, or ideas, please share them with me!


Jicama links



4 comments:

  1. I agree. I like playing with new vegetables, and Jicama is pretty versatile in how you can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is! I've been using it in a salad this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't posted it Jenn. Maybe should. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...