Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Cutout Cookies (not gluten free, sorry)

Since I can remember my Mom always made these for Christmas, and when I had my own children I of course made them for my family.  I would make up a tray for each of my 4 boys and lots of different color frostings and sprinkles for them to decorate them and we'd all have our own plate and lots of fun decorating as well.  It was one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  So then came diabetes and low carbing and I had to find a way to low carb my favorite cookies at Christmas, because it was tradition!  Now I have a new challenge... low carb and gluten free as well, which these are not I'm afraid.  I came up with this recipe last year and they turned out so good that all my family enjoyed them and you really could not tell they were not the real thing.  I made a chocolate frosting to go on them as well.  So I'm posting this recipe from last year for all you out there who are not worried about the gluten, but I'm going to have to either come up with a gluten free version this year or use the cookies to do some testing to see how allowing it back in my diet  affects me now.  Maybe it'll be a good time for a test! Ha!  If I do come up with a good gluten free version I'll let you know.


                    


* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Low Carb White Cutout Cookies

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 32  
Categories    : desserts

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1/4     cup  Splenda
  2        tablespoons  diabetisweet Sugar Substitute-White
  2        tablespoons  xylitol
  1/2     cup  shortening -- (or butter)
  1        egg
  1/2     cup  half and half -- (or kefir if you have it)
  1        teaspoon  baking powder
  1/2     teaspoon  salt
  1        teaspoon  vanilla
  1        cup  almond meal -- (blanched is best)
  1/4     cup  carbalose flour
  1/4     cup  wheat protein Isolate 5000
  1/4     cup  oat fiber
  1/4     cup  flax meal, Golden

Mix sweeteners, shortening, and egg and blend well with electric mixer.  Slowly add in half and half with baking powder, salt, and vanilla and mix well.

Add flours and mix with wooden spoon until it makes a stiff dough.

Refrigerate overnight or for several hours

Flour a surface for rolling out dough.  Roll out half of dough at a time, and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.  I just used regular flour for rolling my dough out.  It's such a small amount that I don't think it will be significant.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 min. or until done.  Don't let them get too brown.

Frost with chocolate butter frosting

                    
* Exported from MasterCook *

                   Sugar Free Chocolate Butter Frosting

Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
Serving Size  : 38  
Categories    :

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2         ounces  unsweetened chocolate
  1/3      cup  butter -- softened
  1 1/2   teaspoons  vanilla
  2        tablespoons  cream
  1        cup  Splenda
  1/2     cup  diabetisweet Sugar Substitute-White
  1/2     cup  xylitol

To make powdered sugar: put sweeteners in a blender and blend on slow speed for a few seconds, stir around with table knife, blend, stir, etc. until it has the consistency of powdered sugar.

melt chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds, and then stir, 15 seconds more until it is melted.

When cooled a bit, with an electric beater, beat together with butter.

Slowly add the powdered sweeteners, vanilla, and cream and beat until it is smooth and creamy.

This will frost about 38 christmas cookies, or a cake.

Description:
  "I usde a mix of sweeteners and powdered them in my blender to make this from a butter frosting recipe."
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Servings: 37 Calories; 3g Fat (47.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 17mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 0 net carbs per serving!





Description:
  "made from the same recipe handed down by my grandmother and mother, which I adapted to low carb"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 66 Calories; 5g Fat (59.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7mg Cholesterol; 57mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2 net carbs per cookie
with frosting, add 32 calories, but 0 carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...