Friday, March 17, 2017

CORNED BEEF ON RYE PANINI SANDWICH


Yes it is low carb and gluten free.  Only 3g useable carbs in this whole sandwich.  It is a bit higher in calories however, if you are counting that. Some of us do.  It is high in fat, which leaves you satiated, however and will keep you going.  I love caraway rye.  To make that in a low carb way, without being able to use rye flour, I find a bit of coffee helps.  The caraway seeds also add to that flavor that makes it taste like rye bread.  This bread toasts really well for a low carb bread.  It is from my cheese and wine bread recipe. I tend to use that as a base for every bread thing I make anymore.  When I've tried other low carb breads, I always come back to it.  I just have not found anything that comes closer to resembling real bread.





I decided I had to do something Irish today!!  I am part Irish after all.  I actually had my DNA tested (gift from my son) and found out what percentage of everything I am.  I am quite the mutt!  But second up there on the list was Irish, surprisingly.  I don't look Irish, but my grandmother was Irish.

So how are you celebrating (if you are) St. Patrick's day?  I also made some nice mint hot chocolate, which I will also share below.  You'll see it in the video.  But then, hot chocolate looks like hot chocolate. I was also experimenting with a Shamrock shake this week, which turned out wonderful!!  I should have posted it.  But there are so many out there, that what's one more?  It was made with cream cheese and cashew milk.  If enough people would like to see it, and want the recipe, you can say so in the comments below and I'll make a post of it, even though it's late for St. Patrick's day.  I never seem to get the holiday posts on time!



                   


Corned Beef On Rye Panini Sandwich


Recipe By     :Ginny Larsen
(Brands I used are listed because that is how the nutrition info is derived. If you use different brands it may vary)
Serving Size  : 1 sandwich
                     

Caraway Rye Bread
2  tablespoons  Parmesan cheese
1  tablespoon  almond flour - Honeyville
1  teaspoon  psyllium husk powder
1/4  teaspoon  baker's active dry yeast -- (or 1 tsp nutritional yeast flakes) Optional - for flavor
1/4  teaspoon  caraway seeds
1/4  teaspoon  baking powder
1/8  teaspoon  baking soda
1 large  egg
1 tablespoon  brewed coffee
1/8 teaspoon  blackstrap molasses
Dressing
1 tablespoon  Just Mayo, Hampton Creek -- (use whatever mayo you have, this is the brand I used)
1/4 teaspoon  Frank's red hot buffalo wings sauce
1/2 teaspoon  hot dog relish, Heinz

3 ounces  Corned beef, Brookdale premium quality (aldi's) -- canned
1 slice  Muenster, deli sliced, Happy Farms
2 teaspoons  butter

BREAD: In small bowl, add Parmesan cheese, almond flour, psyllium  powder, yeast, baking powder, and baking soda.  Whisk together until lumps are out.

Add egg, coffee, and molasses.  Whisk together until smooth.  Pour into square microwavable container, the size of a bread slice. Spread evenly, tap lightly on counter a few times to get out air bubbles. Microwave on high 1 min. 30 seconds.  Your microwave may vary.  Mine is 1000 watts.  Bread should be done in the middle but not too dry on the outside.  Turn out onto paper towel and let cool.  Slice horizontally into two slices.

DRESSING: In small bowl, add mayo, buffalo wing sauce, and hot dog relish.  Stir together. Spread on one slice of bread.

Add corned beef on top of dressing and top with slice of cheese (or two slices if you want more). Top with last piece of bread.

Butter each side of sandwich and place on panini grill.  Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until done.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 612 Calories; 46g Fat (68.1% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber

NOTES : 3g useable carbs


MINT HOT CHOCOLATE

                      
1 serving

1 tablespoon  cocoa powder
1/4 cup  boiling water
2 or 3 drops peppermint essential oil (to taste)
1 cup  cashew milk, Unsweetened, Silk -- (or almond)
sweetener to taste -- (I used GV brand liquid stevia extract with erythritol - Walmart)
1/8 tsp  salt

In 14 oz. mug, add cocoa powder and pour boiling water over it.  Add peppermint drops. Stir until cocoa is dissolved.

Add cashew milk, sweetener, and salt.  Stir together well and microwave for 90 seconds, keeping watch to make sure it does not boil over.  

Stir and serve.  Top with whipped cream if desired, or add flavored latte foam (Walmart)

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving: 37 Calories; 3g Fat (50.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber




4 comments:

  1. The Parmesan Cheese - Is this the grated pre-packaged kind that is in the round containers? or Shredded like regular cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just the grated stuff in the can, that is more powdered. I have not tried it with the other. It works like a flour substitute and gives the bread a great flavor and texture.

      Delete
    2. Awesome- Thank you!
      Few more questions for you:

      1 - Is the coffee hot? or does it need to be cooled?
      2 - The Psyllium Husk - What kind did you use? I used this once for bread and it turned it purple (not that the color matters too much) - I have Yerba Prima Pysllium whole husks which I imagine I could just grind down to a powder.
      3- The bakers yeast- Is that just regular yeast for raising normal bread? Did you have to temper it at all with warm water?

      4 - Have you made this in bulk at all? I have a few diabetic friends that I like to cook for.

      5 - Does this keep at all? I was hoping to make it ahead of time ( a day or two before our meal) Curious if it holds up ok?

      6- Does grilling it help with flavor/Texture? I dont have a panini press. But I could always grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich :D


      Getting ready to make this and am super excited!!

      Delete
  2. No the coffee I use is just left over cold coffee from the morning. I buy bulk psyllium husk and grind it in my coffee grinder. It is just in the bulk bins at my local store here. It always works best to buy the husks and grind them yourself.
    Yes the yeast I used in this was just regular yeast and I just added it as is. You can also use nutritional yeast, which I use when I have it. It gives more nutrition and a really nice flavor. I have not made this one in bulk but you can by just multiplying the recipe. I have done that with my Cheese and Wine Bread recipe and made the "Cheesy Loaf of Bread". This is basically the same recipe with some adjustments to make it rye flavored. Yes you can make it ahead of time and freeze if you want, or just refrigerate. I've made up a week's worth and taken on trips before. Yes you can certainly grill it if you don't have a panini grill.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...