Sunday, May 4, 2014

KEFIR LABAN STRAWBERRY DESSERT


Kefir is the best probiotic food I know of and delicious to boot! I've been making kefir a lot lately. I have the same grains I had since 1998! They are hearty and last forever if you take care of them right. I usually get it out for a while and then freeze my grains again, because I get tired of making it.  But my whole family has benefited from the probiotics of kefir and kefir laban (cheese). I made a video of how to make kefir cheese a while back. So I'll post that again here for you.




It most likely will not work to make kefir cheese from store bought kefir.  I don't know why.  I only know I tried it with one brand and it did not make cheese.  The store bought kefir does not have as much probiotic as if you have the grains and make it yourself.  Dom's site is the best source I know of for information on making kefir and kefir cheese.

This is what my kefir laban looks like. I used 1/4 cup of it for this dessert.

KEFIR LABAN STRAWBERRY DESSERT                      

1/4 cup  kefir cheese, plain (*see note)
2 tablespoons  heavy cream
liquid sweetener to equal 2 tbs to 1/4 cup -- (depending on your taste) I used this: 
EZ-Sweetz Debittered stevia
1/2 teaspoon  vanilla extract
2 tablespoons  strawberries -- chopped

In a small bowl combine kefir cheese, heavy cream, sweetener, and vanilla extract. With an electric whisk, whip for about 1 minute or until very smooth and creamy. 

Transfer into serving dish and top with strawberries.  Add some whipped topping if desired.

Source:
  "Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen"
Copyright:
  "© http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

1 Serving: 240 Calories; 24g Fat (87.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 53mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat.

*NOTE: The nutritional info for kefir laban is not exact.  It will depend on what type of milk you made it with and how long you let it culture.  The longer it is cultured, the less carbs there will be in it.  So the nutrition information is an estimate according to what I used.  I use whole milk and culture it for 24 hours and sometimes longer.




1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I live in a neighborhood that has quite a few Middle Eastern markets and I can get labneh at great prices. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...