Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TWO ZUCCHINI LUNCHES

I love zucchini, which is weird for me, because I never liked it before I started low-carbing. It's such a valuable vegetable for us low-carbers! There are so many uses for it.  I remember one year when I grew zucchini and I had zucchini coming out of my ears, but had no idea what to do with it other than make zucchini bread.  My family was sick of zucchini bread before long.
Today I didn't have any low-carb bread on hand and didn't want to make any.  You've heard of cucumber sandwiches? Well how about zucchini sandwiches with zucchini as the bread. Ok, it's not bread but it is taking the place of bread to hold my sandwich together and it was really good.  Just slice wide slices with a vegetable peeler, and save the rest of the skinnier ones for zoodles in a salad or casserole.  I did not write this up in my MasterCook, or figure the nutritional info, and that will depend on how you make it.  Just spread with your favorite spread, or mayonnaise, add meat and cheese.  Pretty simple.  I spread mine with mayonnaise, chicken deli meat, and Muenster cheese.
I'm having acid stomach issues from having to be on an antibiotic back in April, so my lunch today was Greek yogurt, homemade chicken stock and my zucchini sandwiches.  Hit the spot.  Yogurt (or kefir) and homemade stock always seem to do the trick for me.  I just should have started it much sooner!  Zucchini is so mild as well.

Then last night we had Grilled Chicken Zucchini Pizza Salad.  The picture does not show the Mozzarella cheese, because I forgot to add it until after I took the picture.  If you have a spiral slicer such as this,
you can use the slicing setting and slice very thin ribbons of zucchini.  If you don't have one, use a vegetable peeler and make thin slices and cut them the size you like. I don't know why I call this a pizza salad except that it has pepperoni in it and mozzarella and made me think of pizza.  It does not taste like pizza, really, but you can add whatever dressing is your favorite.



ZUCCHINI PIZZA SALAD

2 medium (about 10-inches) zucchini, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, diced, OR 1 tomato, OR both
About 20 (or how many you like) pepperoni slices cut in fourths
2 green onions, chopped
Dressing of choice
1 lb. chicken strips
Shredded Mozzarella

In large bowl, combine zucchini slices, diced red pepper, OR tomato, OR both, pepperoni slices, chopped green onions, and toss. Add dressing of your choice and toss again until mixed well.

Grill chicken strips until done, and add to salad.  Toss together, Add however much shredded Mozzarella you like to it and toss again.

I did not give nutritional info for this because it will depend on what ingredients you use.  You can make it your own and add or take away, depending on what you have on hand.  We used Ranch dressing, but I am thinking an oil and Garlic red wine vinegar dressing would be great on this.



4 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...