Thursday, June 14, 2012

QUARK, FLAX OIL, AND CHOCOLATE MOUSSE


Several years ago, when I spent most of my days in bed, exhausted just from getting up and going to the bathroom, I found something that was life-changing to me.  I read of Dr. Johanna Budwig's work with flax oil and "quark" or cottage cheese.

She claimed to have healed many with cancer using her protocol, which is not just the flax oil and cottage cheese or "quark" mixture, but much more.  I did not go on her protocol but decided to give the flax oil and quark a try.  At that time I mixed it with yogurt.  The reason for mixing the two is because one triggers the proprieties of the other to be released. You do not get the benefits of flax oil if you take it alone without mixing it with some milk product such as quark, cottage cheese, yogurt, or kefir.  There are many claims to the health benefits of flax oil, and I'm neither a medical expert or a nutritionist.  I'm only sharing my own experience with it.  I only know how it affected me.  I had my fastest and most notable recovery when I began using flax oil mixed with yogurt or cottage cheese.  I also dropped sugar from my diet, and fought candida with natural anti-fungals and diet.  I recovered.  I actually got back on my feet and was even able to go to work again.  I was suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, as well as adrenal fatigue.

My recovery was slow, but progressive, and the one thing I always go back to when I have a relapse is flax oil.  So I've begun to incorporate it in my diet again. I'm not following the Budwig protocol, which is quite a bit more, but I'm using the flax oil and flax seed more often again.  I've read of health benefits of several types of oils, and tried them, but I have to say flax oil is the one that I've always noticed an immediate improvement from, and a noticeable improvement, and sense of well-being.  So it's what I go back to from time to time.

Yes, I seem to be having a slight relapse in the adrenal fatigue.  I am not bedridden  again, but I do need more rest lately and know the signs.  Emotional shocks, physical shocks, anything stressful, tends to wipe me out and I know the signals.  It's time to take it easy.  Fortunately for me, I have the summer off to do that.  I've had some emotional shocks lately, the kind that leave you feeling like someone came up to you out of nowhere, punched you in the gut, and knocked the wind right out of you.  You don't even have time to process what happened.  I won't bore you with the details of that, but suffice it to say, it's time to get out my arsenal to keep from being incapacitated once again.  I have two things in my arsenal that have kept me from going under, physically that is.  Besides my reliance on the Lord, His Word, and prayer, to keep the body working through the stress and able to deal with it, the flax oil and another help, inositol, has helped my body to be able to function and heal.
Sorry about the blurry picture.  I am revealing things about myself you all didn't know!  I have struggled with panic attacks in my life and inositol has stopped them.  When my son, Ben died, I began having panic attacks again.  I took inositol and did not have anymore.  The two things together give a sense of well-being, and strength, and enable me to physically endure this crazy life and stay on my feet and be useful in it, instead of laying in bed feeling like an invalid.  So I'm passing on to you today some new things you didn't know about me, some private battles, and some things that have helped in the battle.  If they help someone else I'll be blessed.  So without anymore rattling on about myself and my fight, here is a video that shows you how to make quark if you should be interested in trying it, whether or not you want to mix it with the flax oil, it's really good!  Many uses.  Cheesecake, mousse, cream desserts topped with berries, dips, spreads, etc.  I hope you'll give it a try.  Another probiotic food that is great for you!




I hope you'll give it a try. To the recipe below you can add more cocoa powder and/or sweetener to your taste.  This is how I made it:


QUARK AND FLAX OIL CHOCOLATE MOUSSE


1/3 cup  quark cheese
1 tablespoon  flax oil
1 teaspoon  cocoa powder
2 packets  Truvia -- or equal to 1 tbsp.
4 drops  liquid sucralose -- or equal to 2 tbsp.
Other liquid -- (whey from the quark, or cream, or almond milk, etc.) enough for consistency

In small bowl combine quark cheese, flax oil, cocoa powder, Truvia, and liquid sucralose.  With hand held blender or electric mixer, mix until smooth and creamy, adding liquid of your choice until thickness and consistency is as you desire.  Eat right away.  For the flax oil to be of benefit, it should be eaten immediately after mixing. Only make the amount you can eat right away.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1 Serving: 169 Calories; 14g Fat (71.4% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber

17 comments:

  1. This is very interesting information. Thank you for sharing it. I read both links. My daughter suffers from OCD and the Inositol sounds amazing. So sorry you are going through stressful times. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! :) I'm sorry your daughter suffers from OCD. I hope it will help her if you try it.

      Delete
  2. (((HUGS))) Prayers are being said for you Ginny. Glad you are being careful with your health. Take it easy and know that some things are not exactly in our control as we cannot be in control of what others in our lives say and do. You care very deeply about those you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I appreciate the prayers and the hugs!

      Delete
  3. Ginny, thank you for your recipes. I wonder, do you like that salton yogurt maker? I am considering buying one and just wonder if it is a good one. Would you tell me where I can buy it and what's a good price? Do you heat the buttermilk? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for all you do for us on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome LaWanna. :) The Salton yogurt maker works good for me for the quark. I've had trouble a couple times making yogurt, and I haven't figured out why. You don't have to heat the buttermilk. You just put it in there and plug it in and 24 hrs. later you will see it is separated from the whey. I just scoop it out into a cotton cloth and drain it then, until it's the consistency I like. I got my Salton maker for $20 7 yrs. ago. I noticed they are much more pricey now! I'd just look for any brand yogurt make you can get at a good price. Amazon has a lot of them. You can check out and compare.

      Delete
  4. Ginny, could I make quark in a crock pot I have seen instructions for yougut made in a crock..this new way of eating is pricy at first...so I can't purchase more new toys. but I want to try the quark in the worst way. Thanks,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm just not sure what to tell you, as I've never tried it in a crockpot, and it would depend on what the temperature of your crockpot gets to. I don't think the yogurt maker goes above 110 degrees F. I suppose you could put some water in your crockpot and set it on the lowest setting and see what the temperature comes to. Otherwise, maybe a search on making quark in the crockpot may turn up some answers. Sorry I don't have more help for you!

      Delete
    2. Here is a link for some methods without the yogurt maker, making yogurt, and I think it would work for quark then as well. http://homecooking.about.com/od/dairyrecipes/r/bldairy9.htm

      Delete
  5. Thank you!!!! I will be buying the buttermilk tomorrow!!!!Smiles, Ruth
    PS: do you use quark in any recipe instead of cream cheese??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I m mostly just sweeten it and add some berries Ruth. I've been wanting to try making cheesecake with it. It makes a great smoothie also!

      Delete
    2. Ginny, did you have any adverse reasons when you first starting using the flax seed and cottage cheese or quark? I have eaten the flax/cottage cheese twice and last night had severe diarhea and GAS.
      please feel free to answer privately.
      Ruth @
      glassart58203@yahoo.com

      Delete
    3. If the flax oil is rancid you can get stomach upset and gas. That happened to me once, only when my oil was too old. Also some people can't tolerate flax seed, and some can. EVeryone is different. It's best to start with a very small amount to see if how you do, and to increase. Also, make very sure of the expiration date on the oil, and to make sure it has been kept refrigerated. If a store does not handle it well and has not kept it refrigerated it can go bad. Otherwise, I have not had any adverse reactions with it, unless I overdo it. My sister was on the Budwig protocol for cancer eating this several times a day, and had no adverse reactions from it. Although, unfortunately in her case it didn't help her cancer, I do think it helped her quality of life.

      Delete
  6. Ginny, thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it. Smiles, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginny, I just used the quark in place of mayo in a favorite salad dressing..it worked great and best of all no soy from the mayo...I excited, I may even purchase a yogurt maker when I find one priced right!!! Smiles, ruth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...