Sunday, February 5, 2012

Triglycerides in Women and Stroke Risk

Thought this article was interesting this morning from Science Daily:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120202164536.htm

Postmenopausal women may be at higher risk of having a stroke than they think. A new study by researchers at NYU Langone Medical Center and colleagues found that traditional risk factors for stroke -- such as high cholesterol -- are not as accurate at predicting risk in postmenopausal women as previously thought. Instead, researchers say doctors should refocus their attention on triglyceride levels to determine which women are at highest risk of suffering a devastating and potentially fatal cardiovascular event.
Worth reading the whole article.  One thing that happened to me since I began low carbing is that my triglycerides went way down and my HDL went way up.  My LDL was too high (according to medical standards) but when I pressed the doctor about what kind my LDL was she told me my small particle LDL was very good.  In spite of this she wanted me on cholesterol lowering drugs.  No thank you!  I think my cholesterol is just fine thank you, and I don't need to take something that has the potential to cause dementia, muscle damage, liver damage, etc. just so my numbers can look good in their records.

There is so much misinformation out there regarding this stuff!  Do your research people!  If all you have for information is what you see in the news media, that's not going to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...