Friday, January 6, 2012

My Eye Exam Surprise Today and Seco-De-Pollo

Wow!  I have not been to the eye doctor for an exam and especially a diabetic checkup since 2008.  I had no idea it had been that long.  I just kept putting it off and forgetting.  Today I finally got in there and had my eyes examined thinking they were probably going to be worse and I'd need a stronger prescription.  I'm nearsighted.  To my surprise, my eyes have improved!!!!  I'm less nearsighted than I was.

 I have no idea what to credit that to.  Lowcarbing?  Going wheatless?  I haven't done anything else different other than that.  Does this just happen sometimes?  I have no idea.  Supplements I'm taking maybe?  It would be nice if I could pin it down to something so I know what I'm doing right.  Maybe all of the above?  I don't know.  I'm just happy that my eyesight is improving.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2005 and have been low carbing the Dr. Bernstein way since then.  I went wheat free a year ago.  I'm taking Codliver oil, Vit. D, B-complex, inositol, benfotiamine, magnesium, and Insulow every day, plus my daily kefir.  I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.  Won't that be nice if my eyes continue to improve.  No signs of retinopathy, or any other problems.  My eyes look A-OK.  This in spite of the fact my A1C has creeped up each year.  After being initially diagnosed I brought it down to 5.7 by lowcarb and exercise.  Over the years it has creeped up to 5.9, which I'm not happy with, but the doctor thinks is wonderful and won't give me anything because she's afraid of me going too low.  *Sigh*

So it is a mystery to me that my eyesight has improved, and I don't know that I'll be able to understand what made it improve. I'm just thankful it has.  I wish I could tell everyone, "Do what I'm doing and your eyes will improve".  But I don't know what I'm doing that is making them improve.

So with that, I'd like to introduce a video that is not by me, but one that caught my eye and I tried it last night.  Only hers looks so easy.  Mainly because she has a sharp knife to cut her chicken with so she didn't wrestle with it like I did.  I really need to get some new kitchen knives!  On my wishlist.  It's called "seco-de-pollo".  I also can't rate it because I did not have all the seasonings and ingredients she used and used my own which did not come out so well.  Also, I like only chicken breast, and I don't care for the dark meat.  This uses legs and thigh meat.  So if you are a fan of the dark meat I think you'll like this recipe.  Hers looks so wonderful!  She puts it on rice.  You could put it over cauli-rice.



I intend to try this again using chicken breast and her seasonings, minus half the salt she uses.  So in spite of my Just-ok results last night, I am posting this because mine was not hers and hers looks wonderful and I think you'll like it.


6 comments:

  1. Hate to break your bubble, but as one ages, near sighted improves. I was told this by my eye doctor as well. Fact of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope that's true. :) I will be happy, whatever the reason, if it improves! ;)
    You didn't break my bubble. I was never in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that my husband's becoming more nearsighted in his 60's and I am becoming less. I guess we will not know the answer to that. Perhaps it happens to some and not to others, for whatever reason. God knows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer. It's always nice that something good comes out of aging. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...