Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Chili

I have so many chili recipes.  Each one has its own uniqueness.  Lately, being Fall, and having pumpkin on my mind a lot, as well as chili, I decided to try a pumpkin chili.  I never had pumpkin in chili before but as I was browsing the internet for recipes and reading reviews, I decided on a combination of several ideas for one.  I didn't know if I should lean more on the pumpkin type spices or the chili type spices.  But I ended up using a little of each and the result was great!  I asked my family on a scale of 1-5 what would they rate it.  My son said, "A million!"  My husband and my son both do not do low carb or gluten free.  So I consider their opinion pretty weighty when it comes to how a non-low carber will like something.


                      


                              Pumpkin Chili

2 lbs ground beef
4 oz mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
6 oz green chili peppers, diced
16 1/2 oz tomato juice (3 - 5.5 oz cans)
14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes, (1 can)
1 cup  canned pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons  pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon  cumin
2 tbs chili powder 
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Splenda

Brown the beef, add mushrooms and onions and stir and fry until tender.  Add green chili peppers, tomatoes, tomato juice, pumpkin, spices, and Splenda.

Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes.  

Makes 6 1/2 cups, Each serving is slightly more than 1 cup.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

6 servings (Per Serving): 459 Calories; 32g Fat (63.4% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...