This is thanks to Jennifer Eloff's GF low carb bake mix. This bread came out to a bit higher in carbs than I like so I may tweak the recipe, to lower the carbs, but this was so good! I took as a base recipe, the "Focaccia Style Flax Bread" by Laura Dolson, on about.com. I used the bake mix in place of the flaxmeal, and I used coconut oil. Since I had jumbo eggs I used 4 rather than 5 large eggs. I also added some basil and garlic powder. I would like to try it with caraway seed sometime. I'm the only one eating it at my house, so I sliced it and put it in the freezer so I can pull out a piece when I want. It is nice sliced for a sandwich, or use it to make garlic toast.
* Exported from MasterCook *
GF Low carb Focaccia Bread
Serving Size : 8
2 cups Jen's GF Low Carb Baking Mix (link above)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sweetener -- (1 to 2) I used EZ Sweetz--6 drops
4 jumbo eggs -- well beaten
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil -- melted
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic powder
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) I used parchment paper sprayed with non-stick spray. A silicone mat works great.
1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.
2) Add wet to dry, and combine well.
3) Spread into a rectangle, making it even as possible. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).
5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is. (mine took 30 minutes)
6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife. Nutrition info is based on 8 pieces, adjust according to how many slices you cut.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 277 Calories; 22g Fat (70.8% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 94mg Cholesterol; 481mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Serving Ideas : Broil with garlic butter and cheese for garlic toast