Saturday, November 20, 2010

Almond Bread for stuffing or eating

I made some of this today, and half of it I'll use for bread and half of it will be cubed, toasted, and saved for stuffing this week.  It is inspired by Lois Lang's Lucious Bread recipe out of "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall B.A., M.Sc.  I changed it a little to fit my own ingredients.  There are many versions of it on the internet on the SCD sites.  It's gluten free.  Along with this I have looked at different versions of low carb stuffing and I think I'll probably get ideas from them but end up with my own.  I never seem to follow anyone's recipe exactly!  I tend to always take from several recipes and end up with my own.


                      
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Almond Bread

Recipe By     :original by Lois Lang, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, my tweaks
Serving Size  : 16    
Categories    : Bread

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1/4       cup  coconut oil -- melted
  8         ounces  fat free cream cheese -- softened
  3         eggs
  1         teaspoon  baking soda
  1/4      teaspoon  salt
  2 1/2   cups  almond meal, blanched

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  (180 C.)

Place first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with electric mixer until very creamy and thick.  Or you can put into a food processor and process.

Add the almond meal and mix well.

Grease a loaf pan (about 4" x 8") generously (I spray with non-stick cooking spray).  Pour dough into the pan.

Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 min. until lightly browned on top.   Check by inserting a metal kitchen knife; it will come out clean when bread is done.  Remove from oven and run a bread knife around the edges of the pan to loosen.   Remove bread from pan by inverting the pan onto a cake rack.  Allow to cool thoroughly before you cut it.  Don't cut it while it is piping hot.  It needs to firm up its texture.


Variations: For Bananna bread: 1/2 cup sweetener added, 1 tsp. banana flavoring, and use 1/2 c. flaxmeal and 2 cups almond meal.  Or for lemon bread use 1 tsp. lemon flavoring, 1 TBS lemon juice, and add poppy seeds.
or: add 1 TBS. of caraway seeds with the flour and you will get a bread that resembles rye bread.


Description:
  "Inspired from "Lois Lang's Lucious Bread" from the book "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gotschall"

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving: 157 Calories; 13g Fat (71.5% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 208mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.




30 comments:

  1. This sounds rather good. I might give it a try. Does it have to be fat-free cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you can use whatever cream cheese you want. I use the fat free only because it's actually less carbs, and less calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am out of coconut oil can I use butter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the original recipe called for butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that an actual picture of the Almond Bread? Does it make good toast? that's what I miss the most. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that's the picture of the almond bread I made. It makes pretty good toast in my opinion, but it will not taste like wheat toast. But it does have a good flavor and toasts well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ginny,

    I have some almond flour in my pantry. Can I use that in place of the blanched almond meal in this recipe and your 1-minute English muffin, or not?

    Love your creative recipes and looking forward to trying several of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm sure almond flour would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ginny! Just found your site and will definitely try your recipes. About the cream cheese...obviously the fat-free will have less calories, but not less carbs. The fat-free has almost double the carbs of regular cream cheese (17.37 gm carb/8 oz for fat free vs 9.23 gm carb/8 oz for regular) going by the USDA nutrient database.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess it depends on the brand. I compared the fat-free with the full fat in my store (generic brands) and the fat free actually had less carbs and less calories, so I bought it. Otherwise I usually by the full fat version of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made it with 2 C almond flour, 1/2 C flax meal and regular cream cheese and it's delicious! I really was missing being able to dip into the yolk of a fried egg and having peanut butter in something other than a spoon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad it turned out for you and you like it! :)
    I was working on a sourdough version of this this week, as an experiment. It didn't rise very well at all but I cut the loaf in half, and then sliced thin slices lengthwise. It did taste very good and like a sourdough bread! Especially good toasted, but I think I need to work on tweaking it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ginny, I linked to your blog from Dr. B's forum and I am so excited!! Your recipes look amazing. I made the almond flour bread today and it is HEAVEN!! Thank you so much for sharing! It really made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for letting me know!! :) Glad you stopped by and found something you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The recipe says it has 5 grams of carbs per serving- but what is a serving size - 1 or 2 slices?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are 16 servings--16 slices. I slice is a serving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ginny,

    My son is diary free also, I have plain coconut yoghurt, can it replace cream cheese. In another bread recipe for you asked for butter milk or Kefir can I substitute this with the yoghurt???


    Thanks
    It looks Great, can not wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the plain coconut yogurt could replace the cream cheese. I have not tried it in this particular recipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. And yes you can use yogurt instead of the kefir or buttermilk. I think you'd get the same result.

      Delete
  18. Hi, Ginny ~ Your recipe makes the best low carb banana bread ever! Can't wait to try your other variations. Thanks! Thinking of you and Ben lately. Hope all's well with you and your family. Take care, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ginny, My bread didn't seem to "rise" as much as yours seems to have from the picture. I used the recipe as stated--however, I did bake it in my toaster oven. I've never had anything adverse happen before. should I have whisked it more? please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also how large of a pan you use will make a difference. The smaller the pan, the more of a rise, the larger, it will seem flatter.

      Delete
  20. I'm sorry you had problems with it! I've never baked it in a toaster oven, so I really can't say if that's why or not. Mine rises about as high as a banana bread loaf would rise. It won't be like a regular loaf of wheat bread. Not sure what to tell you. Maybe a regular oven would work better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ginny - I'm now following your blog, and your Facebook page! I'm going to give this bread a try, and will report back with my results. It might be a couple of days before I make it, but I will!
    Sandi ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I hope you like the bread!

      Delete
  22. I'll let you know tomorrow. I used the 2 cups of almond flour and 1/2 cup flax meal, as one of your commenters said she loved it. I'll try it as toast tomorrow morning and give my verdict of that version. The banana bread sounds good too!
    ☺ Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  23. The version using 2c almond flour and 1/2c flax meal is pretty good, great flavor to it!
    ☺ Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Thanks for reporting back Sandi! I normally do add flax also when I make it anymore. I'm thinking of experimenting with psyllium powder and nutritional yeast with this recipe. Haven't tried that yet.

      Delete
  24. Since using some flaxmeal in place of the almond flour has worked for others, I wondering if replacing 1/2 C of almond flour with pecan meal/flour would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that, but I think it probably would.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...