Friday, July 29, 2016

ZUCCHINI BREAD OR CAKE




I've been thinking of zucchini bread lately, since there is lots of zucchini available right now.  One year I grew my own...just 2 plants and I had zucchini coming out of my ears all summer!  I had to figure out what to do with it all.  So this recipe was handed to me from a friend who got it from a friend who got it from a friend... you get the picture.  It's one of those recipes that was brought to potlucks at church and passed around.  Those are the best kind of recipes, in my opinion.  They are the tried and true family recipes that get used over and over again. It was the best zucchini bread/cake recipe I ever tasted in my life.  Truly. I lie not.  So I decided instead of looking up a low carb recipe out there I would see if I can take this recipe and adapt it to low carb.


It is not, however gluten free, but can easily be made gluten free by just changing the flour mixture up a bit.  I have been experimenting with oat fiber (which is not certified gluten free) and with einkorn flour, which is an ancient wheat.  So far I have had no reaction from them, so I'm encouraged.  I don't plan to use them on a regular basis, but I'm happy I can occasionally use them in a recipe without any adverse effects.  You can replace this in the recipe for more almond flour and I'd add a tsp of xanthan gum if not using the oat fiber.  I have not tested it that way, so you're on your own, but that is what I would do if making it gluten free.

This turned out to taste every bit as good as the original!  I am happy, happy, happy!  I have had a few flops in the kitchen lately, which makes me very upset.  But this made me extremely happy.  Hubby, who is a non-low-carber liked it.  Thought it was very good.  To me it tasted exactly like I remember.  It is very moist, but not gooey in the middle.  It is just right.  It's just how I remember.  I hope if you try it you will enjoy it also.


                   
Zucchini Bread or Cake


5  large  eggs
1/2  cup  erythritol
1/4  cup  Pyure
2  teaspoons  vanilla
1  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
1  tablespoon  cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon  salt
2 cups  shredded zucchini -- (I cut one large zucchini in chunks and place in food processor with S blade and process.)
1/3  cup  coconut oil
1 1/2  cups  almond flour - Honeyville
1/4  cup  whey protein isolate, Isopure -- unflavored
1/4  cup  golden flaxseed meal
1/4  cup  oat fiber
1/4  cup  einkorn flour

In mixing bowl, add eggs, erythritol, Pyure, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Blend together with electric mixer.

Add Zucchini, oil, almond flour, whey protein, flaxseed meal, oat fiber, and einkorn flour.   Mix until combined.

Pour into Bundt pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, and bake in 350F preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hr. If knife inserted comes out clean it is done. It was done for me at 1 1/4 hour.

Cool completely on wire rack.  Turn out onto plate and add a glaze if desired.



Yield:
  "1 loaf"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

16 slices/Per slice: 146 Calories; 12g Fat (64.7% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fibe

Net carbs: 2g per slice if 16 slices

Serving Ideas : If desired glaze with 1/4 cup powdered Pyure or powdered granulated sweetener of choice to equal 1/2 cup sugar.  Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and gradually add heavy cream while whipping until it is the right consistency of a glaze.
Pour over top of cake and let it dribble down the sides.  Add carbs and calories according to how much cream you use.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...