Friday, October 22, 2010

One Minute Bread

Jennifer Eloff has a great recipe for One Minute Bread, the Next Minute Toast.  Visit her blog for lots of great ideas and variations plus many more scrumptious recipes.  I finally hit a variation of this that really hit the spot for me, especially now that I am going gluten free.  I made some yesterday for my breakfast and microwaved it in a square plastic container so it came out like a slice of bread that was thick enough I could have made two very thin slices but decided I really liked it open-faced with my egg and cheese on it.  It was really good!  For lunch I made it in a cereal bowl bun style and split it for a sandwich...

So here's my variation of this recipe that seems perfect for me.  I intend to experiment with adding seasonings and also in using it to make garlic toast some time.

        

 One Minute Bread, the Next Minute Toast

Recipe By     :Originally from Jennifer Eloff, with my adaptations
Serving Size  : 1     

2 teaspoons  coconut oil
1 large  egg
1 tablespoon  water -- or kefir, or coconut milk (just enough to get the right              consistency, like pancake batter)
1/2 tablespoon  parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons  almond meal, blanched
1 tablespoon  flax meal, Golden
1/4 teaspoon  baking powder
      Dash  salt
1/4 teaspoon  Splenda (not to sweeten but to bring out flavor)

 In standard cereal bowl, place coconut oil. Nuke 15 seconds. To coconut oil in cereal bowl, add egg, and kefir or water, and ingredients in the following sequence – parmesan cheese, almond meal, flax seed meal, baking powder, salt, and Splenda . Using a metal whisk, whisk ingredients together until well combined. (Or electric mixer with one whisk attachment)

Spread in a sprayed Glad square plastic container, or keep in cereal bowl.  Nuke uncovered 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes, or until set. The cooking time may vary for different microwave ovens. (I lined a square plastic sandwich container with parchment and sprayed it, and it worked great).  Loosen edges and underneath with a regular dinner knife and invert. Allow to cool slightly and using a sharp bread knife, slice in half horizontally. Toast in a bread toaster (setting should be higher than for regular bread) until browned. Butter crisp toast generously and place breakfast items on top.

Source:
  "http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/607310-one-minute-bread-next-minute-toast.html"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving: 256 Calories; 22g Fat (76.2% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 189mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium.  

Serving Ideas : This can be 2 slices if you cut it in half.  You can microwave it in a square container for a bread, or a round cup or ramekin for something more like an english muffin. 

NOTES : *2 effective g. carbs


35 comments:

  1. I've tried this recipe twice now and I'm so glad to have it. It's nice to have a sandwich with something that really resembles and tastes like bread. This makes following a low-carb diet much easier and more pleasant. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! Yes, it sure does help to have something resembling bread!

      Delete
    2. I would love to make it, but I live in Puerto Rico and most of the ingredents I can't find.

      Delete
    3. Amazon.Com has all these ingredients

      Delete
  2. This is definitely the best low carb bread I've tried! So far the only one I'll make again. My boys and I just made Tuna sandwiches with them and they were better than any tuna sandwich I've ever had! The flavor is fantastic, not super eggy tasting like the other "breads" I've tried, and not overloaded with either coconut or almond flavor like the others I've tried either. The kids absolutely loved them too.

    Have you ever tried any way of making them in the oven? I'm trying to think of how to make more at one time, this could be my road trip solution I've been looking for, but with 4 of us(2 teenage bottomless pits included) it would take a while to do one at a time in the microwave for sandwiches for a day or two on the road. I'm wondering if they would work out if baked I could make more at one time. Maybe in a pan and then cut into "slices", or made into buns in the oven using a large muffin top pan or mini cake pans? I'm going to do some experimenting, but thought I'd check if you had yourself.

    Thank you so much for this recipe! I looked at the other variations, and yours definitely fits with our tastes the best. My husband is going to LOVE the surprise fried egg sandwich I'm going to make for him with one when he gets home from work! I struggle some days for what to send to work for him when I don't have leftovers, now as long as I have stuff to make sandwiches I don't have to struggle anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are enjoying this bread! :) I have not tried doing them in the oven, but that would be a great experiment. Yes, it would be nice to have some made up ahead. I don't know if they would come out the same in the oven, but if you try it, please report back and let us know!

      Delete
    2. I finally tried them in the oven and they turned out fantastic!! I posted on my blog how I did them and linked to your recipe.

      http://accordingtojolene.blogspot.ca/2012/04/recipe-buns-i-can-eat.html

      Thanks again for such a great recipe!

      Delete
    3. That's great Jolene!! Thanks for reporting back and sharing with us! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ginny, I made one for lunch as a bun for a hamburger and it was fabulous! The best recipe I've tried so far. I'll be posting it on my blog as my Recipe of the Day tomorrow with a link back to you. Thanks for such a great recipe!
    http://www.lowcarblayla.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing it! I'm so glad you like it too! :) And thanks for the link to your blog also.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ginny i really love this bread its soo easy i have pcos so i cant eat bread or any carbs but this is great your website has truly helped me thank you soo much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much for sharing that! You made my day. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I was hesitant when I pulled it out of the microwave and it looked like one of the many failed microwave muffins I have experimented with. But then i put it in the toaster for a few minutes and WOW, it was good with some butter. Thank you so much for this recipe. My mother and I are going to try to bake a large batch on a cookie sheet. It's also quite good with coconut in place of parmesan and a little banana flavoring, tastes like banana bread :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip with the coconut and the banana flavoring!! :)

      Delete
  6. Does anyone know if these would work without flax? My mouth and my tummy can't tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, yes they will. You can just use all almond flour if you want.

      Delete
  7. OMG, I have been playing around with this recipe all week and just made the best ever breakfast!

    Using the basic proportions, I substituted canola oil, used all almond flour, SF vanilla syrup instead of the water, half a teaspoon of almond extract. Egg, baking powder and salt were the same amounts as in the original recipe.

    I made it in a small container so it came out more like the size of an English muffin. I didn't even toast it, just put some butter on it and was in muffin heaven!!

    Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is so versatile and it seems everyone comes up with their own adaptation! I'm glad you found yours. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh thank you - now my Saturday morning breakfast can be bliss again - even hubby loved it and it wasn't eggy at all. Thank you so much Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying breakfast again! :)

      Delete
  9. Made this twice now. Totally reopened my world of eating sandwiches! I microwave in a round cereal bowl then slice in half to make a muffin. I toast them under the grill, both sides each, and fill with cheddar, smoked ham and tomato. Delicious breakfast treat! My tip is to use Stevia as a sweetener as it doesn't have aspartame, which isn't very good for you. Thank you so much for this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I never use aspartame either. That's one I stay away from.

      Delete
  10. I realize this is an old post but I am so excited to have tripped over it. Not having toast to go with eggs at breakfast is really messing me up. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I haven't tried it yet but I trust you are not teasing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An oldie but still a goodie! :) It's not wheat, and won't taste like wheat, but it is a pretty good substitute. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  11. I have the Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks and LOVE them. QUESTION: I have the problem with almost every recipe that specifies parmesean cheese -- is it the powdered can or actually grated fresh. Please HELP! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the canned powdered kind myself. I think others have used fresh grated and that has worked as well. Your preference! I'm so glad you're enjoying the cookbooks!!

      Delete
  12. I wonder if I could replace the Parmesan cheese or just leave it out? I'm dairy free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many minute bread recipes out there that are dairy free. You could use 1 tbsp. of coconut flour in it's place or 2 tbsp. of flaxmeal. Adjust liquid to get the right consistency. It will be a different bread however that what is shown, but it works.

      Delete
  13. I read the comments and didn't see this. Can these be frozen for later use? I love the idea of making several at once on a cookie sheet but wondered if you can freeze them. Anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, I have not tried it, but I would think you could do that just fine.

      Delete
  14. I made this and I liked it, but it didn't look anything like yours, and I tried toasting it, but that didn't work out too well, next time I'll try toasting it longer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could this be turned into a loaf recipe for a bread maker?

    Michelle

    (and, gosh I think you're the best Ginny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Michelle! You're so sweet. :)
      I've never tried that with this, and I don't have a bread machine, but I have made other one minute breads into loaves by just going 5x the recipe and baking it in a bread pan. This might be a good one to try that on.

      Delete
  16. If someone else has asked this, i apologize. Have you tried cooking this on a griddle like pancakes? That is how traditional english muffins are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't. It's a little tricky with low carb batter. Not the same as working with a yeast dough but I've really wanted to come up with something close to that low carb! If I ever get it down you can be sure I'll post it!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...