Friday, January 20, 2012

Lemon Muffins with Lemon Frosting

I know I haven't posted for a while.  I've had some issues to deal with lately. I'm recovering from losing most of my recipes in a software crash.  That's right, my MasterCook software for some unknown reason got totally wiped out.  I shut down my computer one night and saw that I had forgotten to close my MasterCook so it was forced to close and my computer shut down.  I thought nothing of it.  But when I went to open it the next day I found everything in it had been wiped out.  No recipe books, nutrition info, or any other information that was in there was there.  It was an empty shell.  All was gone.  I had a bit of a meltdown you might say.  I couldn't bring myself to think about recipes for a week.  I had to unstress and get my perspective in order.  But recipes continued going through my head and I continued to cook none-the-less.

I finally got my new software installed and now I'm in the tedious process of trying to find any of the recipes I lost on my blog, on forums, wherever I may find them, to add once again to my new MasterCook.  It's especially frustrating since I'm in the process of writing my cookbook for volume 3 of Low Carbing Among Friends, and I could not continue until I got my recipes in there, with nutrition info.  That means adding again all the products and ingredients I use into the ingredient list which is also a tedious process.

However.  I did make some headway today, and I should move right along now with the newest recipes I've recently done.  I've done several things lately, like low carb gluten free "noodles", cannelloni, Mexican tortilla pie, all low carb and gluten free.  But those will be in Vol. 3 of the book.

Last night I made some lemon muffins that have been churning in my brain lately, and they came out pretty good.  This is a versatile recipe that can be used with variations.  You can use your imagination.  It also uses Jennifer Eloff's Splendid Gluten Free Bake Mix which is also in Volume 1 of Low Carbing Among Friends along with her wonderful recipes.

These rose so nice...
They were not flat like so often low carb muffins can be.  They have a wonderful lemony flavor.  I would have added poppy seeds if I had had them, but you can do that if you like.


    Lemon Muffins with Lemon Frosting

1 cup  Jennifer's Gluten Free Bake Mix
1 cup  flaxseed meal, golden (you can use brown if you like, I prefer the taste of     golden)
1 tablespoon  baking powder
12 packets  Truvia -- or 1/2 cup equivalent
1 teaspoon  lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon  salt
1 teaspoon  lemon extract
1/2 cup  Torani Vanilla flavored sugar free syrup
1/4 cup  coconut oil, melted
4 large  eggs, beaten
    Lemon Frosting
3 ounces  cream cheese -- softened
3 tablespoons  butter -- softened
1/3 cup  powdered sugar substitute
2 tablespoons  lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon  lemon extract

Muffins:  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Spray 12 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.  In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together bake mix, flaxseed meal, baking powder, truvia, lemon peel, and salt.  Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and add lemon extract, vanilla sugar free syrup, coconut oil, and eggs.  Mix together well.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from tins onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting:  In a small bowl, add cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar substitute, lemon juice, and lemon extract.  Beat with electric beater until smooth and creamy.  Frost each cooled muffin.

Variations:  Add poppy seeds for lemon poppy seed muffins.  Add dried cranberries for lemon cranberry muffins.  In place of lemon peel and lemon extract in muffins use orange peel and orange extract for orange muffins.  Use orange extract in frosting in place lemon extract and skip the lemon juice.

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12 servings/Per Serving: 207 Calories; 17g Fat (72.6% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber

7 comments:

  1. Oops... the recipe for my powdered sugar substitute is 1 cup Splenda Granular and 1/2 cup xylitol, or erythritol if you have that and prefer it. Pulse in blender 10 seconds at a time stirring and shaking in between until you get the consistency of powdered sugar. I have it posted on my blog with several other recipes also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us who depend upon our computer to store our craft can sympathize with what you lost and how you felt!

    And so I appreciate it that much more that you posted this recipe. I LOVE lemon! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ginny, so sorry to hear about all your recipes. I was just wondering if you tried a system restore to go back to a previous state, like a day ago? Doing it now would probably uninstall the software you reinstalled today, but you might be able to restore your recipes. Worth a try maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rettakat, glad you like lemon! Hope you enjoy the muffins. :)

    Anonymous, yes, tried system restore and tried downloading a data recovery program to restore it, but all failed. I discovered that if the program is corrupted, it can only restore the corrupted files in that condition. It can not uncorrupt them. I don't know if a professional could have found them somehow, but I don't have that kind of money to spend to find out. I did recover one of my recipe books which I had transferred from a previous program so it was saved on my computer fortunately. So some of my recipes were in that one, but the newest one with my newest recipes were gone. :( Still banging my head wondering why I did not back them up. I will back up from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ginny, I am so sorry you lost your recipes! I have some of your recipes saved that I have made or plan to make. I am not sure how many but, I would be happy to locate all I can and send them to you. You can email me at penny01966 at yahoo dot com and I will email you the ones I have.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny, I can sympathize. Soon after that happened and you warned me, I backed up my computer software - and sure enough - 2 days later my Nutritional Program crashed - exactly like yours did - everything GONE!! Thank you so much for warning me to back up. I did it right away. I'm really sorry that you lost your work. That is not funny. I remember one of the authors lost half her photos before needing to submit them for the website. It happens just too frequently.

    These muffins look amazing and I'm so happy you're using my bake mix. Yay! Go ahead and use it for recipes in the book as well if you like. It's all one book. :) I LOVE the rise in those muffins. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Penny! Thanks! If they were from my blog I still have them here, but some I've posted on other places. I don't know yet what I have and what I don't have. Haven't had the energy to attack it yet, ha ha. But soon I will see what I am missing.

    Jennifer that is just so crazy how that happened to you soon after I told you that!!! How bizarre! I'm so glad you got yours backed up. I don't know why I didn't back mine up. I really need to get an external hard drive soon!

    Thanks for the bake mix! It sure is great in these muffins!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...